Retailers successfully maximizing egg category sales and profits follow several common practices. Here are a dozen of the best.
- Make eggs an anchor for your dairy department. Place the egg category at the opposite end from milk to pull customers through the dairy department.
- Allocate a minimum of eight feet to eggs to allow enough room for additional variety and specialty items. Place higher margin items at eye level.
- Utilize plan-o-grams for stores. Maintain a clean, well-stocked department by restocking and rotating product often.
- Cross-merchandise eggs with other categories to create additional volume.
- Display eggs in other areas of the store, such as a “quick pick-up” cooler located near the checkouts.
- Offer consumers a choice with a variety of sizes, grades and packs.
- Make prices easy to find and provide eye-catching POP signage to help draw attention to the category.
- Promote eggs throughout the year to maximize sales.
- Educate consumers on the many nutritional benefits of eggs.
- Target your best customers for egg sales and promotions through loyalty marketing programs.
- Make eggs an important part of your overall merchandising strategy.
- Drive volume by meeting frequently with suppliers to plan promotions, maximize sales, and leverage periods of oversupply.