Egg and Goat Cheese Torta
Herb and chive goat cheese spread in a whole wheat pita with egg strips, sliced avocado, marinated roasted red peppers and baby greens.
Yield: 12 sandwiches
Ingredients for Herb and Chive Goat Cheese
- 1 lb. goat cheese (chèvre)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/3 cup parsley, fresh, minced
- 1/3 cup chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. thyme fresh, minced
- 1 lb. 5.5 oz.* (12) large eggs, beaten
- 6 oz. milk
- 3 avocados, pitted, skinned, quartered and sliced lengthwise
- 6 cups baby greens
- 12 torta rolls
*If using frozen or liquid whole egg product.
Directions for Herb and Chive Goat Cheese
- Blend goat cheese, sour cream, heavy cream, garlic, salt and pepper until smooth. Fold in minced fresh herbs. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a bowl, toss roasted red peppers with Italian vinaigrette. Cover and refrigerate.
Directions for Egg Mixture
- Blend eggs with milk, salt and pepper.
- For each sandwich, pour ⅓ cup egg mixture into a non-stick 8-inch pan prepared with nonstick spray.
- Cook, omelet-style, until eggs are firm throughout with no visible liquid egg remaining.
- Cut into ½-inch strips.
- Heat torta on flat grill or in a dry sauté pan.
- Split in half. Stuff with 1 ½ tablespoons herb and chive goat cheese, 2 tablespoons marinated roasted red peppers, ½ cup baby greens, 2 slices avocado, one sliced omelet-style egg.
- Cut in half. Serve immediately.
NOTE: Do not allow raw or cooked eggs to remain at room temperature for longer than one hour (including preparation and service time).