Innovation with Breakfast Sandwiches/Wraps
- On the menu at Hardee's are a "Fried Bologna Biscuit" (with eggs and cheese and a "Double Loaded Omelet Biscuit" an omelet sandwich with cheese and a choice of protein (sausage, bacon or ham).
- An LTO at Sonic was a “Fiesta Steak Breakfast Burrito” with vegetables, cheese, golden tots and eggs wrapped in a tortilla.
- Starbucks has offered a “Bacon & Gouda Artisan Breakfast Sandwich” (that has 350 calories and 17 grams of protein).
- Burger King added a “Southwestern Burrito” with eggs, sausage, cheese and hash browns.
- Dunkin’ Donuts has added an “Angus Steak & Egg Bagel Sandwich” to their menu.
- At the Corner Bakery, the newest sandwich is the “Power Panini Thins” with scrambled eggs & Parmesan and Cheddar cheeses, with bacon, sausage or avocado and spinach.
- Some tasty new items on the menu at Cosi include the “Steak & Eggs” with eggs, beef medallions, pesto & Provolone and the “Costa Mesa” featuring eggs, Pico de Gallo guacamole and Cheddar cheese.
- Jack in the Box promoted their Sourdough Breakfast Melt that includes toasted sourdough bread topped with egg, hickory smoked bacon or ham, and American and Swiss-style cheeses.
- Sonic introduced “Fiesta Steak Breakfast Burrito” as an LTO. This item includes seasoned carne asada, jalapenos, tomatoes, golden tots, cheese, and eggs wrapped in a tortilla.
- White Castle introduced “New Fresh Breakfast” in late 2011. The menu items include various combinations of sausage, egg, bacon and cheese served on toast or steamed buns.
Taco Bell Breakfast Expansion
Taco Bell has rolled out its new breakfast program, FirstMeal™, in nearly 800 locations. The menu offers 11 new items including a variety of breakfast burritos and wraps stuffed with eggs and sausage, bacon or steak; hash browns; Cinnabon Delights; orange juice; and both hot and iced coffees. Teamed up with brands Cinnabon, Johnsonville, Tropicana, and Seattle’s Best Coffee, the menu prices range from 99 cents to $2.79.
The current phase is focused primarily in 11 western states, combined with select stores in Oklahoma, Texas, and Ohio. Taco Bell locations in the eastern U.S. will be adding FirstMeal™ throughout 2013, while some locations will begin sampling FirstMeal™ items during the FourthMeal™ late-night hours. Additional item testing will continue with more breakfast sandwiches and yogurt parfaits. The breakfast program is planned to be available at all 5,800 U.S. locations in the next year or two.
Egg White Sandwiches
Egg white options for breakfast sandwiches are popping up on a number of menus. Take for instance, Subway, where any breakfast sandwich can be ordered in either whole egg or egg white versions. Bruegger’s Bagels is also offering a “Skinny Zesty Egg White Sandwich” made with turkey sausage, Swiss cheese and a sundried tomato spread on a “skinny” sesame bagel. Another example is a line of Egg White Flatbreads with onion and peppers on the menu at Dunkin’ Donuts. Panera’s new breakfast sandwich is the “Mediterranean Egg White on Ciabatta with basil pesto, roasted tomatoes, spinach and Vermont Cheddar cheese.