Egg Product Advantages
Direct from Mother Nature, with a touch of modern technology that cracks, separates and packages convenient forms of whole eggs whites and yolks, egg products provide food formulators with important benefits:
- Ease of use: Egg products are ready to use immediately, e.g., liquid or dried egg that is compatible with mechanized proportioning systems in food plants, or pre-cooked egg entrees ready to heat and serve.
- Convenience: Ready-to-use egg products just need to be measured for use – many egg products even come pre-measured. Bulk quantities may be customized with ingredients already incorporated into the egg product to reduce labor. Equipment needs are minimal, clean-up is simplified, and, except for packaging materials, there is no waste for disposal.
- Economy: Reduced handling, minimal shipping cost and elimination of breakage result in reduced-cost formulations. They are one of the most economical complete protein sources available.
- Safety: Egg products are pasteurized to destroy Salmonella and other bacteria.
- Minimal Storage Space: A 100-pound drum of dried egg white solids is equivalent to the whites from about 28 cases (360 large shell eggs per case) of shell eggs. 100-pounds of dried whole egg solids are the equivalent to about 10 cases of large shell eggs. A 30-pound container of frozen eggs is equivalent to about 22 dozen large shell eggs.
- Uniformity: Egg products can be produced to definite specifications to assure consistent performance in formulations. Click here for Egg Product Specifications.
- Stability: When properly stored according to their type, egg products will keep their quality over several months.
- Click here for dried egg product storage and handling information.
- Click here for refrigerated/frozen egg product storage and handling information.
- Quality: Most egg products are virtually indistinguishable from fresh eggs in nutritional value, flavor and most functional properties. These qualities are well retained during proper storage.
Other non-food functional uses for eggs include:
||The white is a popular ingredient for facial masks. The yolk is used in shampoos and conditioners.
||Both yolk and white are excellent culture media for laboratory growth of microorganisms.
|Animal Feed & Pet Food
||Ground dried shells are fed to laying hens as a source of calcium and protein. Egg is used to feed laboratory animals when a protein reference is required. Yolks and whites are used in pet foods.
||Lysozyme is an excellent antibacterial agent in all foods. Avidin-biotin technology is used in medical diagnostic applications like immunology, gene probes, and histopathology.